My wife Kay and I watch a lot of documentaries, and as consummate Food Network fans and cookbook readers and collectors, if it has anything to do with food, we’re game to watch it. So it was with the documentary film The Game Changers, a look at how vegan diets impact athletic performance.
So we went on the hunt for cookbooks and health titles that were written by or have some affiliation with the documentary. Here’s what we found:
Here are the top 12 books associated with the documentary “The Game Changers” or have common themes with it:
- Unbelievably Vegan, by Charity Morgan. Morgan is the chef profiled in the documentary because she brought vegan food as a performance diet to NFL players after her pro-ball husband adopted the diet. She calls the diet “Plegan” a play on vegan and “plant based.” Her website is here.
- The Penis Book: Urologist Aaron Spitz was featured in the documentary, and his book explains how a plant-based diet can help with cardiovascular and penis health. In his 5-step process for penis health, the book talks about adopting a vegan diet to help minimize or even reverse erectile dysfunction.
- “The China Study“ by T. Colin Campbell – This book, which presents the findings of a large-scale nutritional study, heavily influenced the documentary’s message about the benefits of a plant-based diet for athletes.
- “Finding Ultra“ by Rich Roll – The author, a vegan ultra-endurance athlete, appears in “The Game Changers” and his memoir is a great companion to the documentary for those interested in adopting a plant-based diet for athletic performance.
- “Eat to Live“ by Joel Fuhrman – Another book that promotes a plant-based diet, this one focuses on using food as medicine and features a 6-week meal plan. Fuhrman called the film “great movie” and “important” but criticizes it in this interview.
- “Thrive“ by Brendan Brazier – This book by a former professional Ironman triathlete discusses plant-based nutrition and includes recipes and a 12-week meal plan. he is one of the many executive producers of The Game Changers.
- “Becoming Vegan” by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina – A comprehensive guide to adopting a vegan lifestyle, this book covers the health benefits, nutritional considerations, and meal planning.
- “The Forks Over Knives Plan” by Alona Pulde and Matthew Lederman – The authors, both physicians, discuss the health benefits of a plant-based diet and offer practical advice for incorporating more whole, plant foods into one’s diet.
- “No Meat Athlete” by Matt Frazier – This book explores how to fuel athletic performance on a plant-based diet, with advice on nutrition, recipes, and training plans.
- “Proteinaholic” by Garth Davis – The author, a bariatric surgeon, challenges the idea that we need high levels of animal protein for optimal health and athletic performance.
- “How Not to Die” by Michael Greger – This book, which presents evidence-based recommendations for preventing and reversing chronic diseases through a plant-based diet, is a great resource for those interested in the health benefits of plant-based eating.
- “The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition” by Julieanna Hever – Another comprehensive guide to adopting a plant-based diet, this book covers nutrition, meal planning, and recipes.